Saturday, March 26, 2011

Maria's Cafe

I've been losing sleep over something lately.

I finally realized the issue that was causing my insomnia- I don't know the secret ingredient to Maria's corn pancakes.

My best friend took me to brunch last weekend in Minneapolis. Little did I know it would be a life-changing experience.
Maria's Cafe is a Colombian restaurant that is whipping out delicious fusions of North and South American traditions. It has earned the reputation of some of the best brunch in the twin cities. I now know why...
As I grabbed a menu it was abruptly stolen from my grip as my friend informs me that she will be ordering. "Two corn pancakes please."
After my first bite (the life-changing experience) I understand the uselessness of the menu- I would never need it again. These were magical. The pancakes were sweet and savory with cojita cheese on top, giving the gooey chewy corn a perfect salty kick.
We ate it silence until they were almost gone. I know that we were thinking the same thing- how does she do this?! They say Maria goes into the kitchen at the crack of dawn to mix up the batter to ensure its secrecy. She is the only one who knows the recipe.
That's going to change, I thought, as I rapidly imagined ideas that would involve hidden cameras or breaking and entering.

After exhausting the idea, we paid the bill and walked out planning the next visit to Maria's- preferably the next morning.

1113 E. Franklin Ave Minneapolis. Get 'sum.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you decided to write about mpls's greatest mystery... I think next time I go (hopefully again with you) I will sneak into the linen closet, act like a waiter and snoop for the hidden ingredients!

    ReplyDelete